Tuesday 24 December 2013

On the subway, on the bus, we ride the journey of missed opportunity.



I'm a foreigner in a Korean city who spends two hours every day on public transportation. As soon as I sit down on a subway the whole bank of seats becomes clear within three stops.  I reckon I could clear a whole carriage if I stayed on the subway long enough.  It is the same on the bus.  Every other seat could be occupied and people would rather stand in increasingly more confining spaces than be sat next to me.  

Somewhere on here, there's a space next to me.  

This is surely a missed opportunity.  Koreans spend lots of money on their English education. Talking to me is a free English lesson.  I'm happy to respond to anyone asking me questions.  Hell, they can even ask me questions about places I've been and things I've seen.  I'm a dictionary, a travel guide and Wikipedia all rolled into one.  I'm the freaking Internet with a smile and minus the virus.  I would also like to meet new people and give what Tyler Durden refers to as 'single serving' friends.  

"Oh no, you didn't just use a 14 year old reference!"

Although, lets be honest, that doesn't always apply to me.  Sometimes I do want to be left alone.  Sometimes I want to just stare out of the window and think deep thoughts, normally what I want to eat, where I want to eat it, and how quickly I wish that to happen.  Sometimes I want to not talk to a stranger.  It's nothing personal. I mean it can't be;you're a stranger. It's not like celebrities are clamoring for my attention on public transport. 

Rihanna may be a multitalented entertainer with millions in the bank, but all she really wants is to talk to you, then take your seat. Stay back, Rihanna!   


If only there was a simple way to let people know that you're approachable.  Students have traffic light parties where the choice of colour worn indicated their level of sexual availability.  Perhaps something could be worn by people who want to have conversations on public transport on buses.  Some bright orange armband.  Then other people wearing the same armband could recognize a kindred spirit and join them.  No, wait. I see what I've done here. That's Jews and homosexuals  in Nazi germany.  Damn.  

               I'm an idiot, sometimes.    

The fact is we are all social creatures living in an increasingly sociable sterile environment.  I can say this knowing those hermits who wish to argue with me would be, by their very actions, acting sociable.  Sociable and ornery, certainly, but still sociable. Maybe we should accept that and turn round to the person next to you and say 'hey'. Maybe when the person next to you says 'hello', say hello back. You may find you have a lot in common.  I'm sat next to a woman right now as I'm typing this.  I know she keeps looking over my shoulder and is reading this.  I just looked over at her after I typed that and she closed her yes, feigning sleep.  Don't fake a coma, lil' lady. Point out my typos and tell me what you think.  Nope.  She is actually asleep.  Bad example.  

There were clues.  

Be excellent to one another. Chicks dig scars.  Movie quotes starring Keanu Reeves aside, they have wonderful points.  I am here to show you guys that are inching your way on the freeways in your  metal coffins that the human sprit is still alive. 
'Dude, I'm not doing the Point Break remake. Patrick Swayze's dead now. Show some respect.'


Your public transport journey is a part of your life.  Get busy living.  Or do the other thing. 

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Sitting on the bus here makes me feel like I have some kind of disease, as if by sitting next to a foreigner you can accidentally become one (worst luck).

    Walking down the street random ajoshi's will accost me, usually with some random comment. On Wednesday it was 'Are you Christian? Me too! Merry Christmas! Goodbye!' Said all in one breath before getting back on his bike and cycling away. He might have been slightly mad.

    But on public transport the same rules don't seem to apply. I have only had, I think, 2 conversations on buses. One was when I was folding cards with Korean on them and the lady wanted to know what was going on. The other was an English teacher who wanted to practice his English. Lovely man, his wife was not best pleased that he was talking to the foreigner.

    For people who spend so much energy trying to learn English I wish they would put as much energy into practicing it and actually embracing the people who have come here to help them. I always find it hard to believe how scary people think I am. I have yet to find a way to de-scarify myself. Mickey Mouse costume perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder that too when everyone on the subway has their face buried in an electronic device except for a few elderly folks. I can't imagine another time in history when you could be so surrounded by fellow humans yet be so alone. Seems inhumane to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they clear out for me I used to get offended, then I realized that I have all this space on a crowded subway while they are all crammed together.

    Look at all this special treatment! It is like I am Barack Obama or Queen Elizabeth! Am I a god to these people? Well in any case I'll stretch out and relax on my three seats while the 40 something women stare at me with awe and envy.

    Happy New Years Dave!

    ReplyDelete